Welton le Wold: An historical walk through the life of a rural Lincolnshire village was published by the Welton le Wold History Group in 2009 (second edition 2010).
The focus of the book is social and community history: to quote from the preface “this book is not intended to be a definitive village history – more a collection of photographs and memories”.
Some copies are still available for purchase. Please contact us if you are interested.
Over the years village residents have researched various historical topics of relevance to the village and we are publishing some of this material below, for wider interest.
List of Rectors of Welton le Wold
List of Curates at Welton le Wold
Thomas Asgarby, 15th Century Rector of Welton le Wold
Owners of Land in Welton le Wold
The Managers of the Manor, Welton le Wold, 1086-1218, researched by Christopher North
Violent Fields of Welton le Wold – 1202
Alvingham Priory and Welton le Wold – a Keyhole into History
John Sheriff, Freeman & Juryman
The Bells of St Martin’s, Welton le Wold
Map of Welton le Wold in 1721 – Appraisal by Christopher North
Population trends in Welton le Wold
Welton le Wold Census Analysis (with thanks to Louth Library)
Memorials inside St Martin’s Church
Welton le Wold Memorial Inscriptions (with thanks to Lincolnshire Family History Society).
Index to Memorial Inscriptions.
For some of this information we are indebted to Mrs Phyllis Smith, formerly of the Old Glebe House in Welton le Wold, who researched and collated considerable historical material in the 1960’s. Below, in a photo from 1961, Phyllis is seen examining medieval pottery fragments uncovered in the village.